Sunday 21 October 2007

Puppet Walk: Witch

This animation was created using stop motion footage. This was the first time I had used a video camera to do stop motion as I usually use a digital camera which produces better quality images. The witch character idea came from a photograph I had taken of a wall. The puppet has a wood and wire armature. I wanted the puppet to have a lot of texture and pattern. I used watercolour patterns, which I printed on fabric for the textiles on the puppet. I experimented with latex, ink and wood shavings for the arms and hands. The head and hat were made out of a special clay which cracked.

I spent a long time making this puppet and experimenting. The feet were made of wood and magnets. Unfortunately the magnets did not work very well so I was quite disappointed with the final animation but was pleased with the puppet. I decided to put video footage over the top to create an atmosphere. The sound is my voice, digitally manipulated.


No comments: